Friday, June 05, 2009

Obsessive

You know, I have a rather obsessive personality (some of your are wondering why it took me this long to admit it). I don't really do anything half way. I work out obsessively. I am obsessive about my favorite shows (or movies or books, etc.). I am obsessive about food (just ask Jesse what my current favorite nightly food is). So, guess my latest obsession...the Wii Fit. You see, I am in really good shape, aside from the fact that I appear to have arthritis in my knees (evidenced by the fact that they started to improve as the weather has gotten warmer). I thought that there was no way I could get as good (or better) of a workout as at the gym, but I was wrong. It is fun and keeps my attention and is very hard (well, the step aerobics could be more challenging). You just try doing 20 very slow push-ups with your arms about 5 inches off the ground (I got the raisers for my Wii board). Some of the exercises I beat immediately, but I quickly found out that I suck at balance and that has proved to be the biggest challenge. Also, boxing is an amazing cardiac workout. The one thing I thought I would not be able to do is the running, but since most of the time I run in place it does not both my shins or my knees (the shins having compartment syndrome which makes running impossible). I think this is because I end up running on my toes, rather than from my heels. And surprisingly, using the Wii Fit has improved my knees and lower body strength in a way that 12 sessions of physical therapy could not. We received our Wii Fit as a gift on Sunday and since then I have logged 8.5 hours of exercise time and Jesse has to tell me to stop somewhere between 90 and 135 minutes. I am having fun and rehabbing my weekend, injury prone body!

No comments: