"Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming" - Name the movie!
Things keep moving along in the Leaf family. We are settling more and more into our school routine and a life routine. I have started writing out our daily schedule (including the mundane, brushing teeth, medicine, etc.) on a white board and reviewing it with the kids (and Jesse). Particularly as the boys each have a few activities each week that they need to get to, it helps me focus. School is a challenge and I must say that I am not really a huge fan of homeschooling (for me, as a mom), but it is what my kids need right now, so I am willing to do it. We are focusing much more heavily on the language/writing/reading side of school in our dedicated time and trying to make the math part more of a fun thing (count the cars, food, etc.). They just are not ready to do anything more than that and if I push, I get very frustrated, as do they. In addition to the stuff we do at home, Sammy continues art once a week and then also has 2, 50 minute sessions of ESL a week and Tekalegn still has 2, 2.5 hour preschool sessions. We have also added a small soccer session (35 minutes long) through the local parks and recreation department. The boys LOVE that, in fact, so much that Tekalegn gets mad when it is time to go home!
Everyone that does not see them every day comments on how far they are coming along and how happy they seem, but sometimes it is very hard to see that through the day to day battles I have with them. This week has just been rough with them both just disobeying and a little bit of lying. I am normally tired and frustrated at the end of the day and sometimes I feel like all I do is correct them. We had 2 days this week where nothing, not even the fun stuff, was fun because of attitudes (including mine). It has helped that I have been able to work out every this week, but I have had to be creative with how I do it. Monday I got to go to the gym since Jesse was home, Tuesday I did a little Wii Fit and Pilates, Wednesday I did a Butt/Legs video, yesterday 2 hours at the gym. My mood is normally significantly better after I work out, so that does help. I also got up before them on Wednesday (at 6:45) so that I could have some peace and quiet while exercising and having a little quiet time. I have found that I, being very selfish, need a little me time every day or I start to feel almost claustrophobic.
The one thing that I consistently love every day is making healthy food and I may (or may not ) start posting our menu for the week. This week I did a wonderful oatmeal experiment and the night before gathered 1.5 cups oats (not quick), some flax meal and flax seed, some unsweetened coconut, cinnamon, and some chopped almonds. Then, in the morning I boiled 3.5 cups water and added the mixture and let it cook 20 minutes. It was delicious and SO filling. I highly recommend it. Here is my dinners for the rest of the week.
Overnight Spinach Manicotti
Tortelling Vegetable Soup
Homemade Pizza - with basil, onions, mushrooms, olives, and lots of garlic
Pintos Picadillo
Spinach Lentil Stew
I have say that being a pescatarian (no meat, but seafood okay) can be hard when trying to stay original with food, but I am getting better at it. So, that is all for now!
3 comments:
Finding Nemo!!!
oooh, I want your recipes, we are trying to eat healthier in our house. Your dinners sound yummy!
Wow Courtney, you guys have made just such tremendous progress. I love what you said about homeschooling because I wouldn't be the perfect candidate either what you have to do what they need. I cannot wait to see their progress when we all get together on day after hopefully Sammy friend comes home..
Post a Comment