Saturday, July 02, 2011

Summer

Summer is in full swing here!  The boys did not get out of school until the 23rd of June due to inclement weather over the winter, but honestly, I did not mind the extra week.  And to top things off, I spent the month of June off work due to some work issues (I am not in trouble, and I got paid for the time, but it is complicated).  The month off was a nice break and it helped me study for my CEN (certified emergency nurse) test, which I passed last week.  It also helped me kind of create a plan for the summer.

Our summer will have some fun times - there will be VBS, soccer camp, gymnastics, and musical dance theater. However, we also have to continue to work with school stuff so they don't fall further behind.  The boys are both doing okay in school (and it comes easier for Tekalegn), but I do believe that 2 months would be enough to lose some of their gains.  So, our big focus will be math and reading, with some spelling thrown in.  Both boys actually are doing good in reading (below grade level, but nothing horrid), but math is another story.  Tekalegn is picking up concepts in math pretty good, but it is a real struggle for Sammy.  So, we will be on a schedule this summer - breakfast, I workout and they play, school for 45 minutes or so, lunch, quiet time, play.  I want them to have plenty of time to play, but also some structure.  So, that is the plan for now!

No comments: