Saturday, September 17, 2005
A Jonah Week
You know, Anne Shirley had a Jonah day - I have decided that I must have had a Jonah week! Everything actually started all right. My first two nights of work were relatively uneventful, although very busy, then the whale came! I am sitting on the ferry sleeping, then all the cars started to get off. So, I cranked my key and...nothing! No noise or anything. Everything appeared to be normal, but my car simply refused to start. So, the ferry people got out the jump-starter and...nothing! Then, they had to push me off the ferry with my car in neutral (from the top deck, mind you) while I made some attempt at steering the car. All the while everyone is watching me get pushed off the ferry. Then, I called AAA (fortunately we are members, as this is the 3rd tow of the year, the first for the volvo) and they arrived to tow the car within the hour (although it should have been sooner since the towing company is less than a mile from the ferry). We go to drop off the car at the place that fixed the big orange truck and the guy comes out and yells "what do you think you are doing". I tried to explain the situation and he just said "I don't do volvos". At this point I think my eyes must have teared up (big surprise after being up 16 or 17 hours and hoping to go to bed when this all happened), because he suddenly said not to worry as the place down the street does and he would call and let them know we were on are way. We safely towed the car over there and finished about 9:25 (I am normally in bed by 8:30). Then the dilema, I have no way to get home. There is a bus, but it won't be there for another hour. Jess said he had parked the orange truck at the park and ride. I went there, no truck. I called him and he said it was at the OTHER park and ride (about 1/2 mile away). I also had no truck keys, but he said there were some in some compartment. In the mean time, I called all my neighbors to see if someone could go over to my house to let the woodstove cleaning man into the house (he was supposed to be there @9:30). Of course none of my neighbors were home, so I called my house to see if there were any messages. It was then I discovered that my answering maching was not working, so no one could leave a message (I still haven't figured that one out). So, I finally get home and in bed by about 10:30. The car guy called about 1pm and said the car started for them, but they were going to give it a once over as it was a "very old and unrealiable car" (it may be old, but it has been very reliable, so I was mad). Then my mom called at 3:45 and said she would be at the house at 4:45 to pick me up to take me 20 miles up the island to pick up my dad's car. I quickly jumped out of bed, showered, got ready for work and took care of Nemo, only in time to not eat dinner. We drove up the island, then I turned around and drove back down and with 2 minutes to spare got on the ferry for work. I was able to pick up some sushi on the way in and then I started my night. I transferred 1 patient out and then other patient was crumping! We finally figured out the cause after a battery of tests and were about to fix the problem. Then I got another patient who was very sick, with no blood pressure. We had to do a few tests on her, give her a ton of blood and by the time that was all over it was time for me to document it all and try and catch up with my other patient. I finished with minutes to spare, then passed off to the next nurse and went home. About 1 pm the car guy called again and told me about all the problems with the car and then I told him Jess would call him from work (as none of it made any sense). Then the fireplace guy called and we were able to set up a new day for cleaning (he was sympathetic to my plight) as he just had a cancellation (otherwise, we would be waiting until mid-October). I finally got up at 4pm and called Jess at work to find out the damage for the car - $1200! On top of that we have to buy wood on Monday. Work again was crazy and involved me taking care of 4 different patients, admitting one and transferring one as were were extremely short staffed. I then got up today to discover that I had been tired when I did bills last week and some of the bills I thought had been taken out of my running balance hadn't been and so now I have no money! Oh, and Jess is gone alll weekend at a concert with my dad. At least it is Saturday. Can anything else go wrong?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ah, well...I see why you are sympathetic on the bad week thing. :-) Poor you. Poor Alicia. Better luck for both of you this time around.
I often think of Anne's "Jonah Day" myself. . .but had not this week. Good comparison. I hope we both have better and less-costly weeks.
Post a Comment