Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Labor Day Weekend

I have been sadly avoiding this lovely Blog. I don't really have any particular reason, except that I occasionally have a propensity for laziness. Perhaps my hubby is helping me "relax" as he would call it. I don't really know if this is a good thing.

Monday we returned from Wildhorse Canyon, a Young Life camp is central Oregon. With all the stops we made, it took about 8 hours to get there. We took a total of 8 students as well as all the adult leaders (6 total). This particular weekend is made for leaders or student leaders. It was actually nice to be in the position that all us adults (how I am one is unknown) weren't really there to "lead" the students as all the kids had already been to camp and knew what was expected. It was really a chance to fellowship as a leadership team and it was wonderful. The location is in the middle of the desert in Oregon. The camp itself was formally owned by the Osho or Bhagwan back in the 1980s. It was basically donated to Young Life and the story is so amazing. Something like 600 kids have come to know Jesus since the camp opened in 1998. It was amazing to see how something Satan meant for evil has turned out for God's glory.

Anyway, Justin McRoberts (a recording artist and former Young Life leader) lead worship for us. I have to admit that I was somewhat skeptical on how it would be to have someone who is used to performing lead worship, but it was some of the best worship I have had in years - simple and quiet and just...worshipful.

Then Doug Burley was our speaker (he was the former Young Life president). He was just incredible. His topic was Jesus. Nothing else. It was so simple, yet something we just don't hear much of. Normally a speaker would do how to lead kids, or faith in trials or whatnot, but this was refreshing. He really encouraged us all to read and reread the four gospels just to become encapsulated by who Jesus was and is. How else can I describe what he spoke about other than saying, Jesus.

Anway, that was the course of our weekend - we also had fun hanging out by the pool. Jess did the zipline. On our way back, we stopped in Yakima and picked up a box of peaches and a box of pears. This weekend I am going to can, can, can! How exciting! Well, I am hungry, so I better go heat up my yummy chili!

2 comments:

Naomi Joy said...

Canning - wow. Good for you.

Naomi Joy said...

Hey, I want to hear about "The Wisdom of Tenderness". I was looking at another of his books in Borders the other day; he's a great author. What is that one about?