


If anyone has been watching the news closely, you would know that the best news happened today. Michelle Kwan is going to Torino!!!! You may or may not know this, but she had to withdraw from nationals due to an injury and petition the United State Figure Skating Association for a medical "bye". The granted it based on the condition that she perform her short and long programs in a "test skate" today for a committee. Well, she passed the skate, with some minor flaws, but will be headed as the third member on the ladies figure skating team (along with Sasha Cohen an Kimmie Meisner). Yay! Many people think kwan still doesn't have a chance at any medal, particularly gold. However, last year she performed under the new judging system at World's and came in fourth. Many counted her out (it was the first time she had not taken home a medal since 1995), but there is something to consider. She was one of the only (maybe only) who had yet to compete under the new judging system (revamped after the 2002 scandal) and did not skate her best and still came in fourth! That is quite amazing. Since then she has worked with, arguably, the best coach under the new system to get her programs in top form for this new system. Anyway, all this is to say that she still has a chance for gold. Either way, with 2 Olympic medals, 5 World Championships (gold), 9 US Championship (gold), I think she has secured her place in figure skating history!
5 comments:
Yay! We have a big rivalry in our house and I am rooting for Kwan. I keep saying, "Courtney's on my side, you know."
Who is rooting for someone else? And who is that someone else???? How can you not root for Kwan!
It's Alice. She likes Kimmie because she liked Sarah Hughes because she always likes the younger ones. My mom says I must just like Kwan because she's closer to my age and Alice likes Kimmie because she's closer to hers. Do you think that's true?
Maybe. I guess I am just tired of seeing the younger ones win. I would rather see someone who has put in time and experience to the sport. Look at Sarah Hughes; she had one great skate at the Olympics then left. I like Kimmie a lot and I can't wait to see her in a couple of years, but right now her skating lack maturity. I don't want to see her have one great skate at the Olympics and disappear. Was that good explanation?
I completely agree. People who have worked for years deserve to win more. And good skaters should stick around.
Excellent explanantion. ;-)
Post a Comment