Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Birthdays and the 4th (or 3rd) of July

It is official, my husband is old! His birthday was yesterday. My mom once told me that your body starts dying at age 25, so I guess Jess is dying, but I have 7 months before I start to die. For his birthday, I got him some clothes, a new leash to walk Nemo with and few movies. His big gift is in November when the Nintendo Wii comes out. My parents hit the jackpot though! They went with a rib theme. Jesse loves ribs and apparently the best way to cook them is in a smoker. They got him a smoker, an apron, a mit and hotpad, a few barbeque sauces, and a rib cooking book. I think he like their gifts better!

Saturday we went up to my aunts cabin to see my grandma, aunt, and uncle. We had to work that night, but we still had fun. We went out on the boat my my dad and grandma and even Nemo got to come along. Nemo had never been in the boat and he did wonderfully. Well, actually he was great until he decided that he wanted to go swimming and he jumped off the boat while it was going. He was okay, but it was sure a challenge to get him back into the boat. He also enjoyed the day by jumping off the dock to play fetch.

Last night we went up to my parents for fireworks. Yes, I know yestereday was the 3rd of July, but on Whidbey Island we do things differently. No one has ever been able to explain to me why our fireworks are on the third, but oh well. It actually makes more sense since people normally have to get up early on the 5th, but on on the 4th. The fireworks were great and it was an overall relaxing night. I work tonight, but the frustrating thing is that we only get holiday pay for the 1st 4 hours. It makes no sense that you get 8 hours of holiday pay if you work the night of the 3rd (the night before the holiday). The same thing happens on Thanksgiving - you get no holiday pay for all of Wednesday night, but only for the 1st 4 hours the night of Thanksgivng. All holidays are like this, but it just makes no sense on the holidays that are celebrated in the evening. Anyway, I will stop ranting.














6 comments:

Naomi Joy said...

OH, your hair is gorgeous!

What ARE those things in the first picture?

Courtney said...

Crab and a VERY large starfish!

Courtney said...

Oh, and thanks on the hair!

Courtney said...

Oh, also, there is a turkey leg to catch the crab!

Naomi Joy said...

That's gross, Courtney.

Rachel said...

Where ARE you?? Are you guys angry because we STILL haven't mailed Jess' birthday present?? :-( Courtney, you should probably be happy that it isn't there yet. Just remember, EVAN picked out this gift. ha