The kid we have home now is not the kid I met in Ethiopia in February and took to the Ritmo Guest House on September 7th and not the kid that we took on the plane on September 24th. He is happy, a little comedian, and so loving! He smiles most of the time and even when he gets in his bad moods, they last like 2 minutes instead of 2 hours. He gives me at least 10 kisses every night before bed and is always trying to bargain for "one more". He wakes up happy most days. He LOVES school (after just one day). He is a chatterbox (in Amharic) and always trying to cheer people up. He adapts the best to knew situations and is very well behaved in public (most of the time). He still has his opinions about EVERYTHING and will argue and pout, but it is so much easier to change is focus onto something positive. We have a game that I play when he is in a bad mood where I start making funny faces at me and he tries to outdo me and before you know it, poof, the bad mood is gone. In my heart of hearts, I knew this is the kid that just need his own family where he could be treasured and enjoyed. I believe all kids need this, but some will succeed without it and some will flounder. He was definitely floundering in Ethiopia and I think all the AHOPE people would be shocked and pleased to meet this little boy again in a few years. I am not saying that we don't have our moments and difficulties, but he is becoming a joy in our house and I cannot imagine my life without him.
I will say words about little Tek tomorrow or soon after!
3 comments:
Wow Courtney, this post made me cry. Sammy had such perfect manners yesterday. He was the most well behaved child out of the whole bunch. I think the reason he was so difficult in ET is because he probably didn't believe that he was worthy going home with you and that is why he acted like that all the way down to the airport. But when he finally came home he realized that you guys were not going to dump him no matter what and love him unconditionally. The two of you are made to be parents and I say it again I was so taken by the way you handled your children because your little Tek was pretty wild:)
This is such an answer to prayer. Sammy is just right for your home, and you guys are the perfect parents for him. I am so glad that he got a family that would love him and treasure him, and appreciate the difficulties that he has overcome. Congratulations, on getting your little guys home. We are so happy for you.
Oh Courtney, I just LOVED this post. Sammy has been one of my favorites, and one of the kids that I felt SO very much needed a family (even more than the other kids) for a long time. (I even have a video clip of him being super tender to Solomon in ET and me saying "I HAVE to find this kid a family". He has had such a special place in my heart and I am so, so glad that he has you and Jesse and Tek. I am sure he doesn't remember me, but please tell him that Tsega and Tsega's mommy say hi and send him lots of love and hugs. :)
Hugs,
E
Post a Comment