So, things are maybe a tiny bit better with Sammy. I had a really difficult 2 or 3 weeks that were partly do to my own illness and my inability to exercise. I wouldn't say things are great and I definitely don't enjoy his constant reminders that he does not love me, I am icky, and that I am some bad Amharic words. Oh well! I am trying not to overreact, but I have a temper and Sammy knows how to push my buttons. He particularly likes to unbuckle his seatbelt while driving and flicker the light switches on and off just to get me upset. Giving him a "tap" on the hand and telling him "no", definitely does not produce a desired effect. Sometimes ignoring him does, but his behavior is not always something we can ignore.
We also had a meeting last week at his school and I was terrified. The teacher started off on my bad side by suggesting that we move him to pre-school. He main reason was his lack of desire to "engage". I then stated that he is actually probably older than 5 (particularly do to all the adult teeth suddenly erupting) and some of his behaviors and thought processes. I think he is at least six, but has regressed slightly due to adoption (as is normal). Anyway, we then explained quite a bit of his history as well as the behavior I observed in Ethiopia and also since we have gotten home. His issues with engaging with people have been there since I met him in Ethiopia and have continued here. I am not super concerned that he is not engaging well in the classroom, but I feel it is SO important that he be around other kids and learn appropriate behavior for kids his age. The teacher seemed to be a little put out initially (I think she thought a first time mom of 2 months might be a pushover), but the school nurse and the school counselor were both very receptive, particularly understanding his history. So, the plan is to continue him in school and the assistant principle (a male) is going to spend a little bit of time in the classroom and they may use a teaching assistant as well. Also, there have been a few kids that have been helping him in class and I was encouraged by that and suggested that maybe the teacher rotate kids as being Sammy's helper for the week. It would be good for both him and the other kids. She said she would try it. Also, he will be wearing pull-ups to class as to prevent his bladder issues from being a distraction.
So, the home plan and prayer is that I can learn some way to connect with Sammy. Today we went to ice cream while Tekalegn was at the dentist and he enjoyed that, but he wanted Daddy and Tekalegn there too. It is hard because he is only home alone without Tekalegn one afternoon a week and he tends to need his quiet time during that afternoon. To make things more complicated, Jesse is back to work this week, so he is gone 3 days a week from 5 am to 8pm (due to the ferry). When I work, the kids are asleep for half of it, but he works during their awake times. Oh, well, I am just a little overwhelmed, but not as bad as I was 2 weeks ago.
1 comment:
Hang in there Courtney. I think what you are doing is great. He will push, but as long as you keep the boundaries it will get better. I really believe you are the best Mom for Sammy, he needs you whether he knows it or not. And truly I think he knows it, and wants to make sure you aren't going to give up on him. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Post a Comment