Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Jesse and I have to make some important decisions regarding the boys soon.  Sammy's behavior had gotten better, but has been in a downward spiral over the past week.  We are hoping it is just do to some slight overstimulation of new things (due to the holiday) and not the familiar (no school), but we are not really sure.  Sunday he through a tantrum over going to Sunday school, so he sat in the service with Jesse.  This same day the Sunday school teacher informed us that one of us needs to be in class each week because some of the volunteers complained last week (but of course told us our kids were wonderful).  This may not sound like a big deal, but I already work every other Sunday, so I anticipate I might be able to go once a month to a service, if I am lucky.  Sammy's bad behavior continued after church and I was just happy that Jesse had taken low-census (the hospital needed less nurses due to their census being low), otherwise I am not sure what I would have done.  Granted, he was working on the hot water heater (which is now fixed), but at least he was home.

Then came Monday, the worst day ever!  It started out okay, with Jesse at work and I was able to get Sammy off to school with only his usual, every day, difficulties.  I went to Sammy's parent-teacher conference and that went well and Tekalegn and I spent the morning together, but he was quite feisty and ended up in a time out for over 30 minutes because he kept "shooting" me with imaginary guns (a play drill, paper, fingers, sticks, etc.).  He went off to pre-school at 12:30 and I was so happy to be able to go to the gym for 2 hours while they were both in school!  Then, I got a call from Sammy's principle at 1:30 saying we had to schedule a meeting about Sammy since he had been out of control and we needed to come up with a "plan".  He had a substitute that morning, so that may have triggered it, but they didn't know what to do.  Apparently he had been running through the parking lot at school, wouldn't behave in class or gym, had tried to climb the fence at recess and was being just defiant, overall.  I didn't have to go get him early, but obviously my gym time was over and I just showered and waited for Tekalegn to be finished.  When I got to preschool I found out that Tekalegn had been a handful, but never got a description as to what that meant as he made a beeline for the car.  Then came the nightmare.  I went to pick Sammy up at school and his teacher said we needed to talk (which I had figured.  I tried to have both of them sit in a chair for like 5 minutes while we waited, but then Tekalegn escaped from me and ran into the girls' bathroom and while I was trying to get him Sammy ran off into the boys' bathroom.  I finally got them both out and started talking to the teacher and Tekalegn made a break for it and I could not catch him and Sammy ran the other way.  Finally, we got them (the teacher and I) both together and she helped me walk them to the car, but Sammy through fits the whole way and I finally had to carry him as we was kicking, hitting, and screaming a blood-curdling scream.  The battles continued in the car and when I finally got them home I separated them and put them in time-outs.  Then I called Jesse in tears.

We are just so in over our heads and kind of don't know what to do about school.  Today Jesse tried to drop him off and he just fought the whole way and Jesse finally just had to bring him home.  We are talking about homeschooling for this year, but I just feel like I have no experience or knowledge on where to even start.  All we know is we need to get Sammy help now.

2 comments:

Andrea Hill said...

Gosh Courtney, I am speechless. This is so sad. These are your first kiddos and it would have been nice if one is perfect for you. I cannot imagine the pain you and Jesse are going through. You know they always say after 6 months you will see a remarkable change. Please call me if you need to talk.

Shonah said...

Courtney,

We are thinking of you and praying for you guys! If you decide that you would like to homeschool I use a curriculum called Son Light. You can pick your circ by grade or by age.

Also, your boys are young enough that perhaps a year off would do them good. You can always educated them informally by reading to them, cooking with them, playing with them and taking them to museums etc.
Maybe the school setting is too close to the setting at AHOPE and it is triggering feels that cause them to act out.
I am sure you have already thought about all of this but in case you had'nt these are just my thoughts.

Hang in thee:)