Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Writing a Life
I have been a fan of Donald Miller since I first read Blue Like Jazz several years ago. It just kind of resonates with my passion for non-religious spirituality (with some sarcasm thrown in for good measure). Well, I am currently reading A Million Miles in a Thousand Years and it too is really connecting with my soul. Again, like most of his work, it is very much an examination of his own life and the lessons learned along the way. He was talking about how, as an author, he has spent much of his time writing his life, but has often neglected to live his life. I feel that I am finally at the stage where I am living my life. Not that the previous 27 years I lived before children were not living, but this is what I have wanted as long as I can remember. I never wanted (exactly) to be a stay-at-home-all-the-time-mom, God has given me other desires and dreams, but I feel that I really have the best of both worlds. I get to stay at home 5 out 7 days with my kids, but I also get to go and help sick people (or just people who want pain medicine), 2 days a week and most of the time I am really good at the latter and learning to be better and the former. By the same token, I still have this desire to write my own chapters, rather than let God do the writing, while I live out the character that he has written for me (another thing Miller talks about). It is convicting, but also hopeful and I am really going to try and focus on that right now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment