Friday, February 24, 2006

A Golden Performance



Okay, I have to say that I was thrilled with the outcome of yesterday's womens's Olympic long program. I think Shizuka Arakawa is a stunning skater and I am glad that she was rewarded for that. I felt bad for Sasha when she fell, but I was pleased to see her fight through the end of the program. Unfortunately, Slutskya kind of did herself in - she looked tired from the beginning. I know that was probably her illness speaking as well as the enormouse pressure of the Russian Federation. I was happy to see that the judges finally lowered her PCS marks (program component scores) after holding her up since the beginning of the new scoring system. The comments were that Irina "owned" the new system, but she really shouldn't have as she doesn't quite have the elegance and grace of the top skaters. I felt that she put in a courageous performance and I was happy to see her walk away with a medal after all she has been through. Anyway, I agreed completely with the medal standings!

No comments: