Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A New Book!

Today I had my quiet time out on our hammock that Jess got for his birthday. It was wonderful just to sit on our deck surrounded by Nemo and Ripley and listen to the sounds of summer. Anyway, yesterday I started this book, "Jesus Among Other Gods" by Ravi Zacharias. I decided after camp that I wanted to understand other faiths so that I could defend my own. The chapter I read today talked about how our society places emphasis on our status - where we live, where we work, etc. Other societies do this in different ways such as looking at a person's family. The author looked at the passage in scripture where Jesus is asked where He lives. His focus was on His heavenly home rather than earthly one. After that the author looked at the lives of Buddha, Mohammad, etc. It was just interesting and I don't really remember where I was going with this, but I am really challenged by this book and would highly recommend it!

1 comment:

Naomi Joy said...

Hi Courtney, I've read that Ravi Zacharias book before and I agree that it is wonderful. I bought the student study guide once and would still like to use it some day as a basis for a Bible study with the international students that I've volunteered with. I think his writing is the most clear of any of the comparative religion books that I've seen so far. He is kind and gracious, yet still makes a strong case for the Christian viewpoint. It's been eons since I've read it, though, so I look forward to your posts to refresh my memory on what his good points were.