Wednesday, August 03, 2005
A Revisitation of an Old Friend
Today I have decided to start reading "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen again. On September 23rd, 2005 there will be a new movie version in theatres and I decided that I must refresh my memory of the old story. Elizabeth Bennet will be played by Kiera Knightly (of "Pirates of the Caribbean"). At first I was somewhat skeptical of this casting, but the previews have made me less so. It was wonderful to see exactly lines that I remember from the book in the trailer. My only real concern now is that I do not believe they can do the story justice in the typical 2 hour movie. If you remember, the BBC released a 6 part miniseries about 10 years ago and that was very true to the story. Then again, the 1995 version of "Sense and Sensibility" (with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet) was very well done. It may not have followed the book as closely, but I felt that it captured the spirit and energy of Jane Austen better than any other Jane Austen adaptation that I have seen. Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on the upcoming movie (for those of you familiar with Jane Austen)? If you would like to see a preview go to: http://www.apple.com/trailers or to http://focusfeatures.com/home.php
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I agree, the trailer looks good. Perhaps I shall have to re-read as well. . .perhaps I should make that an assignment for my illustrious junior AP students. I'm afraid I'd lose the boys, but still. . .we could balance it out with something manly afterward.
I don't think Keira will be as good of an Elizabeth as the lady in the 6-hour movie. I am partial. I guess since I am spoiled enough to have the other version (thanks to Court), none of the others will measure up. It was perfect.
I could never bring myself to pay attention to a 6-hour version. Perhaps a 2-hour one I could actually watch. Then maybe I'll read the book. Ha ha ha.
Don't hit me.
Actually, my dad loved P&P, Alicia. Maybe the smart boys will too!
Post a Comment